[coldbox-3.5.2][railo-4.0.0-Beta]3rd party handled Umlauts not played correctly

I use Isomorphic’s SmartClient integrated with Railo/ColdBox; in my newest installation, the following error occurs: Umlauts - or, more generally speaking, multi-byte UNICODE chars - fetched from a MySQL DB are no longer displayed correctly in SmartClient widgets …

I have recreated the same SmartClient example without using ColdBox, only using Railo; in both scenarios, the source of the webpage that arrived at the browser is EXACTLY the same … But the display behaviour is different: Without using ColdBox, the Umlauts appear correctly …

If I’m not in error, the same example has worked correctly in my older Railo/ColdBox installation, too …

What could be the reason for the latest Railo/ColdBox installation to make the SmartClient DB-fetched Umlauts display behave wrongly ?

Never used that. Would need more information on this

First of all: It should have been “not DISPLAYED correctly” in the subject.

Secondly: It is very difficult for me to give more information just in words …
But fortunately, the following insight has come to me in the meantime: Using a regular ColdBox Sample App - for instance SumperSimple - the wrong behaviour DOES disappear ! So the problem is now about finding out why this behaviour occurs in the original, more sophisticated ColdBox App - which is also based on a ColdBox Sample App Skeleton … I have the impression that the ColdBox Sample App Skeletons have not changed significantly between 3.x and 4.x versions … So finding the reason for this odd behaviour might be a difficult task (once again) …

Newest insight: This issue is NOT ColdBox-related at all !!!

It is caused by the following (Railo) CFML:

• <cfset getPageContext().getSession().setAttribute(“attrName”,attrValue) />

With an older version of the Isomorphic SmartClient JARs integrated into Railo, the wrong behaviour does NOT occur …