ColdBox 3 RC2 sample apps

I downloaded a fresh copy of 3.0 RC2 to a new computer this weekend to play with the sample apps. I noticed a couple things I wanted to mention here:

• We advertise compatibility with CF7 and above, but ColdBox 3 won’t run on ColdFusion 8.0.0 due to the fixes to implicit struct and array notation that didn’t come until 8.0.1. We should probably put in a check to make 8.0.0 run in compat mode with CF7, or modify the docs to clarify that updater 1 is required for CF8.

• The ColdBox Samples app still has a link to the “Lightwire Sample” app which is no longer included in the bundle. We should probably remove the link.

• The “ColdFusion 8 Ajax Sampler” app errors when I run it: “Error Creating ioc factory: the names of user-defined functions cannot be the same as built-in ColdFusion functions. The name isValid is the name of a build-in ColdFusion function.” \coldbox\system\ioc[Injector.cfc](http://Injector.cfc): 35
    I googled around and it looks like CF9 added the following feature to UDF names: “You can have a user-defined function with the same name as a built-in function for a CFC but not for CFM.” (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Developing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbec22c24-7e10.html)

• I was looking at the “ColdBox SES” sample app and one of its sample routes doesn’t seem to work. The route is “/:year-numeric/:month-numeric?/:day-numeric?/:entry” and the URL it gives you to click on is: “/index.cfm/2008/08/20” I think the first problem with that route is that required elements aren’t allowed to be after optional ones, but “entry” is required and month and day are optional. Additionally, the test URL used has no entry. The route and/or the test URL in that sample app should probably be updated.
    Thanks!

~Brad

Thanks Brad my answers

• We advertise compatibility with CF7 and above, but ColdBox 3 won’t run on ColdFusion 8.0.0 due to the fixes to implicit struct and array notation that didn’t come until 8.0.1. We should probably put in a check to make 8.0.0 run in compat mode with CF7, or modify the docs to clarify that updater 1 is required for CF8.

I think that this is the responsibility of admins to be on the latest free updates. But maybe a documentation note.

• The ColdBox Samples app still has a link to the “Lightwire Sample” app which is no longer included in the bundle. We should probably remove the link.

Thanks, can you send a pull request

• The “ColdFusion 8 Ajax Sampler” app errors when I run it: “Error Creating ioc factory: the names of user-defined functions cannot be the same as built-in ColdFusion functions. The name isValid is the name of a build-in ColdFusion function.” \coldbox\system\ioc[Injector.cfc](http://Injector.cfc): 35

This has been fixed, I am re-releasing RC2 and wirebox as I type this, with the new bits as I forgot removing that.

Look above

• I was looking at the “ColdBox SES” sample app and one of its sample routes doesn’t seem to work. The route is “/:year-numeric/:month-numeric?/:day-numeric?/:entry” and the URL it gives you to click on is: “/index.cfm/2008/08/20” I think the first problem with that route is that required elements aren’t allowed to be after optional ones, but “entry” is required and month and day are optional. Additionally, the test URL used has no entry. The route and/or the test URL in that sample app should probably be updated.

Help is appreciated and encouraged :slight_smile: