[contentbox] Facebook integration

I was going to make some updates to my Coldbox site Toys For Shots (www.toysforshots.com) but I think this might be a good opportunity to move it over to content box. The only real custom thing I have going on there is the photo gallery and I am sure I can find a way to port that over.

What I am trying to find out is how hard would it be to do the following and has anyone had experience with this. I want the comments from content box to be disabled and I would like to use the facebook comments box plugin.

Also I would like to post every single excerpt along with a link to read the full story to our events facebook page. This would be a preview of sorts and that way I don’t have to manually go over to facebook and add a link to the blog entry.

Thoughts?

Hi Dan,

That is easy to do, just follow the instructions at setting it up with an AppId as per the link you provided. But you will need to modify the layout to not use the ContentBox comments and add the Facebook one instead.

As for the excerpt, just use a normal post to the Open Graph and it can be done no problems.

Playing around with everything tonight the comments stuff was easy enough to do. Thanks for the info.

I haven’t played a ton with open graph. Am I going to have to add some kind of button to my admin to share this entry to facebook? I don’t want this to post every single time I make a change right? Is anyone else posting a blog entry to a facebook account that could share what you did?

I have been playing around with it a bit lately, and no you don’t need a button to do a post. Once you follow any of the SDK and posts on these, which is fairly simple again to get up and running.

Once you have authenticated the application, then you can use the Open Graph to then do amazing stuff. One of the things that you need to remember, is that with any post to a feed you can’t prefill the users message and will get quickly banned if you do.

But having said that, you can still post without the users message and depending on what you are looking at overall from your experience with the Facebook and web site integration, you could very easily look at the new story posts that looks very interesting. Basically games are using this story feature the most at the moment, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do the same for sites like yours. For example you could have a story so that any time anyone makes a donation you can even let their friends know, telling a story so to speak about the donation.

The Facebook documentation in the developers section is very extensive and very well explained, almost you can still get lost in the documentation from being overwhelmed though.

I have been using the Facebook SDK found here http://facebooksdk.riaforge.org/ but it is no longer supported, as the developer is now doing PHP work, however it is still the best one I have used at the moment.

Hopefully that will be enough to get started with.

You should be able to get a Facebook developer key and register your app. Then you’ll need to set up access tokens for your blog to use to access your facebook account. As far as tying into ContentBox, just register an interceptor for any time a post is created to ping your facebook page with it and it will all be automatic. When you’re done, wrap it up in a ContentBox module and post it on ForgeBox :slight_smile:

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Bard,

There is one problem with posting via ContentBox, how to determine if the post was first published or not. I asked a long time ago and not really got an answer how to check for that.

Dan,

You can do it, but you will need to look at some logic on whether the content was first created, published or edited and what you need to do with it.

OMG Brad forgive me for spelling your name wrong :slight_smile:

Bard seems strangely appropriate :slight_smile: A wandering minstrel and programmer ?

Mike