[contentbox-version] What are these errors? What causes them

I asked in here once before and Luis said this is a known issue, but what actually causes these errors and what can we do, to get Adobe to fix these. I am seeing around 200 of these errors a day, and I only see them on ColdBox sites.

java.lang.NullPointerException at coldfusion.runtime.AppHelper.getApplicationMetaData(AppHelper.java:1246) at coldfusion.runtime.CFPage.GetApplicationMetadata(CFPage.java:10394) at cfCFORMUtil2ecfc1165099099$funcGETDEFAULTDATASOURCE.runFunction(coldbox\system\orm\hibernate\util\CFORMUtil.cfc:83) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:472) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:405) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:368) at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:55) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:321) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:220) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:2659) at cfCFORMUtil2ecfc1165099099$funcGETENTITYDATASOURCE.runFunction(coldbox\system\orm\hibernate\util\CFORMUtil.cfc:67) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:472) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:405) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:368) at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:55) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:321) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:220) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:655) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:444) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:414) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:2432) at cfVirtualEntityService2ecfc1611247811$funcINIT.runFunction(coldbox\system\orm\hibernate\VirtualEntityService.cfc:67) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:472) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:405) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:368) at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:55) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:321) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:220) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:655) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:444) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:414) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:2432) at cfBuilder2ecfc490097319$

Yeah that would be handy rather reporting it again.

I didn’t file or find a bug… I couldn’t create a test case that recreated the issue. I just saw it a clients production environment, but we couldn’t do that in any of their other environments even running the same code base, so if you have a reproducible situation, then please make a ticket and I will vote on it. I fixed it just by breaking the implementation.

Curt

Yeah I wish I could give a repo case here, but it is so intermittent it is not funny.

Would it be wise for me to get the Hosting Company to investigate, and maybe get them to help push for Adobe to get it fixed?

Curt, can you explain “breaking the implementation”?

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

I think he means the implement annotation on components.

Ahh, I see-- you mean he just didn’t make his component actually implement the interface it was supposed to. I don’t know if it’s better on CF10, but interfaces have been a thorn in my side on CF9. CF does disk I/O to read the metadata of the interface on EVERY creation regardless of your trusted cache setting. A lot of the WireBox components that implement an interface and get created by the thousands show up in my stack traces waiting on hard drive access under load.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

I should point out the server is running ColdFusion 10, so it looks like it is no better than ColdFusion 9.

I just removed the implementation annotation. implements=“coldbox.system.orm.hibernate.util.IORMUtil” removed from the cfc. This fixed it. And I agree, not love with the way interfaces work.

Curt

Curt,

I have spoken to my hosting provider, and they are going to chase this up with Adobe. They have asked if there is a current ticket for this problem, so that they can provide more feedback to Adobe on the issue as well.

Could you let me know the ticket, if not could you create it, with all the information that you know that would help my hosting provider as well.