Mail Service Issue

WOOT! Worked! If nobody finds the bug I will find it on the plane ride tomorrow morning, I have to get packing! Thanks for the help boys!

Hi Dan,

So pleased you got it working. Certainly a bug of those details aren’t being pulled in. So it seems the stack trace was right all along, it was an SSL issue.

Well done on finding it!

Robert

I agree it’s very common practice, but so is burning fossil fuel and binge drinking, doesn’t make either of them a good thing :slight_smile:

For a long time noreply has been a very normal and accepted practice, but with all the social networks and focus on open communication on the web I think it’s a habbit and practice that will change.

I have some great articles bookmarked somewhere that make a strong case for not using noreply - I shall try and find them.

I doubt it will change at all, that is like all the services that use SMS to send notifications. So would you expect someone to man that phone number too?

So no I doubt it will change.

The SMS we send out are sent through an aggregator via REST calls, any replies that come back are turned into an API callback so they could be parsed into the app, converted to an email or something like that.

I’m sure it won’t change in a lot of real instances, but the universal view of best practice and the approach on new projects will I suspect.

Yes, but if I ring that number? Will a human answer?

It would depend on the setup and provider but I’m sure it could be done… It’s a good point, not something I had considered, I will have to speak with our SP and see of they have a solution for that.

In an ideal world calls to the number would be routed through to a switchboard or something, so no one would need monitor that number specifically.

Yeah I have the uncanny knack of seeing a lot from other point of views.

Like here in Australia, I can’t vouch for other countries. There are companies that take online complaints, and they get assigned to one of anywhere up to 100+ staff. It is easier for them to send out a confirmation email, with a no reply, because you don’t know who will be handling the complaint.

So the business work flow doesn’t allow for anyone to sit there and monitor this, because it would be a waste of resources to do so.

And with the way this world is headed, the no-reply email that is not monitored is and will become more widely used than ever, its widely used now, but expect it to increase not decrease.

Ah so you’re an Ozzy, you’re looking at everything upside down… :wink:

I’m sure there are edge cases where it is applicable, but I’d bet there aren’t many.

As for your complaints process, again, I think if the app was designed in such a way it wouldn’t matter, we have support desks here that don’t use a no reply - complaints are assigned an ID and the replies from customers get appended to the ticket, so it doesn’t matter who handles the complaint in the support team, they can view he replies.

The team would also be departmentalised in sections and complaints handled based on customer location or product type or something like that.

Robert

Well no I see things the right way up, its you yanks who think that the world looks this way :slight_smile:

Now your assuming ticketing systems, trust me that was not even in my mind when I made that statement. And for every case you can show as being a reason not to use a noreply account, I can show you 2 more reason why it is a good idea.

For example, some businesss especially the ones I mentioned, have been doing this work flow for years, and they are not about to change. Nor do they have the resources to allocate or even the funds to change that behaviour, same goes for companies downsizing, once that resource goes then there will be stronger need for anonymity.

Which brings me to a bigger reason for a noreply email, as most people know that once you get an email address then it will eventually end up on the mailing lists for spam. So would would large corporations expose this in any way?

The list of reasons go on and on, but you need to forget about ticketing and normal support. There are hundreds of businesses and companies that use this noreply for a very good reason, and it has nothing to do with support and ticketing systems, which make up about 1% of what we talk about.

So I stand by my comments, and the fact that the use of this work flow will only increase.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE - THE MAILBOX IS NOT MONITORED

Dear Andrew,

This is a quick notification to tell you that you are wrong.

Kinds Regards.

Robert

Robert, how am I wrong?

Ok lets talk about a company here in Australia, actually they all do it. We have ombudsmans that look after certain areas of telecommunications, financial, energy and so on.

They all have the ability to lodge an online complaint, they will send you details on what you do next. Part of this process is that it is not assigned to anyone straight away, they give the company in question the right to respond to the complaint. To reduce their work load, they use the no reply account.

So it means that they are telling you that you need to then abide by the details in the email, and if then that you require further assistance then you ring them and someone will be assigned to you.

These companies run on few staff as it is, and they keep their work load to a minimum by using this work flow.

Blizzard do the same thing, they could very easily modify their system to do what you talk about. But they use a noreply account, for a number of reasons, one to keep the communication to a minimum, forcing you to follow their procedures. And to minimise the risk of people being scammed, shit it happens already so why would they want to make it any worse.

Robert you can disagree as that is your right.

You guys are hilarious. Was a bug found?