put json/rest data intermittently is an empty string

Hi

I’m developing a json/rest backend with coldbox and railo and backbone.js as the frontend.

When I put data, it intermittently arrives as an empty string. If I repeat the request, it arrives as the expected data.

I’ve checked the browser console and it seems to be sending the correct data i.e. not an empty string, but a json object.

I am receiving the data like so:

prc.data = deserializeJSON( event.getHTTPContent() );

Any ideas what could be happening? I am not sure if this is a ColdBox issue or a Railo issue, so I am posting on both mailing lists.

I am using Railo 4.1.1.009 final, ColdBox 3.7, Ubuntu 12.04, Apache 2.2.22

Thanks,
Neil

I’ve updated to latest Railo and still experiencing the problem.

Here’s a stack trace:

No matching property [START] found in [string]
at railo.runtime.reflection.Reflector.getGetter(Reflector.java:936):936
at railo.runtime.reflection.Reflector.callGetter(Reflector.java:968):968
at railo.runtime.reflection.Reflector.getProperty(Reflector.java:1160):1160
at railo.runtime.util.VariableUtilImpl.get(VariableUtilImpl.java:293):293
at railo.runtime.PageContextImpl.get(PageContextImpl.java:1325):1325
at model.service.myservice_cfc$cf.udfCall(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/model/service/MyService.cfc:60):60:60)
at railo.runtime.type.UDFImpl.implementation(UDFImpl.java:95):95
at railo.runtime.type.UDFImpl._call(UDFImpl.java:308):308
at railo.runtime.type.UDFImpl.call(UDFImpl.java:212):212
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl._call(ComponentImpl.java:623):623
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl._call(ComponentImpl.java:506):506
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl.call(ComponentImpl.java:1732):1732
at railo.runtime.util.VariableUtilImpl.callFunctionWithoutNamedValues(VariableUtilImpl.java:713):713
at railo.runtime.PageContextImpl.getFunction(PageContextImpl.java:1471):1471
at handlers.validity_period_cfc$cf.udfCall(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/handlers/my_handler.cfc:30):30:30)
at railo.runtime.type.UDFImpl.callWithNamedValues(UDFImpl.java:199):199
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl._call(ComponentImpl.java:624):624
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl.callWithNamedValues(ComponentImpl.java:1745):1745
at railo.runtime.tag.Invoke.doComponent(Invoke.java:203):203
at railo.runtime.tag.Invoke.doEndTag(Invoke.java:176):176
at coldbox.system.web.controller_cfc$cf.udfCall6(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/coldbox/system/web/Controller.cfc:756):756:756)
at coldbox.system.web.controller_cfc$cf.udfCall(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/coldbox/system/web/Controller.cfc):-1:-1)
at railo.runtime.type.scope.UndefinedImpl.call(UndefinedImpl.java:704):704
at railo.runtime.util.VariableUtilImpl.callFunctionWithoutNamedValues(VariableUtilImpl.java:713):713
at coldbox.system.web.controller_cfc$cf.udfCall5(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/coldbox/system/web/Controller.cfc:640):640:640)
at coldbox.system.web.controller_cfc$cf.udfCall(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/coldbox/system/web/Controller.cfc):-1:-1)
at railo.runtime.type.UDFImpl.callWithNamedValues(UDFImpl.java:199):199
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl._call(ComponentImpl.java:624):624
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl.callWithNamedValues(ComponentImpl.java:1749):1749
at railo.runtime.util.VariableUtilImpl.callFunctionWithNamedValues(VariableUtilImpl.java:739):739
at railo.runtime.PageContextImpl.getFunctionWithNamedValues(PageContextImpl.java:1481):1481
at coldbox.system.coldbox_cfc$cf.udfCall1(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/coldbox/system/Coldbox.cfc:236):236:236)
at coldbox.system.coldbox_cfc$cf.udfCall(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/coldbox/system/Coldbox.cfc):-1:-1)
at railo.runtime.type.scope.UndefinedImpl.call(UndefinedImpl.java:704):704
at application_cfc$cf.udfCall(/home/mydomain.com/public_html/Application.cfc:120):120:120)
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl._call(ComponentImpl.java:623):623
at railo.runtime.ComponentImpl.call(ComponentImpl.java:1732):1732
at railo.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener.call(ModernAppListener.java:387):387
at railo.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener._onRequest(ModernAppListener.java:113):113
at railo.runtime.listener.MixedAppListener.onRequest(MixedAppListener.java:18):18
at railo.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2135):2135
at railo.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2102):2102
at railo.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:332):332
at railo.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:29):29
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728):728
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305):305
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210):210
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222):222
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123):123
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502):502
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171):171
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99):99
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118):118
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:408):408
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1023):1023
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589):589
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310):310
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source):-1
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source):-1
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source):-1

Thanks,
Neil

The problem was due to the fact that I had event/handler/config caching turned off in coldbox while I was developing. The extra time it was taking to process the request must have caused an issue with the getHTTPContent() call. Perhaps the data had already gone, or hadn’t arrived yet, or something.

Turning on the caching seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks,
Neil

Gah! Spoke too soon. it’s improved the situation, but it still happens at a lower frequency.

Hi Neil–

We do a lot of this at my work (Ext JS instead of backbone, but lots of RESTful AJAX requests). We’re on CF9, and I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this issue.

That said, do you have an example of this that others can try out?

• REST route setup
  • JSON request (URL pattern and data)
  • handler code

I have test facilities already set up for these kinds of requests, and would be happy to give it a try on a setup similar to yours to see if I can replicate.

Hi

I’m developing a json/rest backend with coldbox and railo and backbone.js as the frontend.

When I put data, it intermittently arrives as an empty string. If I repeat the request, it arrives as the expected data.

I’ve checked the browser console and it seems to be sending the correct data i.e. not an empty string, but a json object.

I am receiving the data like so:

Any ideas what could be happening? I am not sure if this is a ColdBox issue or a Railo issue, so I am posting on both mailing lists.

I am using Railo 4.1.1.009 final, ColdBox 3.7, Ubuntu 12.04, Apache 2.2.22

Thanks,
Neil

I think I’ve found the answer for my issue with this.

In my ColdBox app, I always send the event data through to my service layer for processing, rather than deal with it in the event handler.
When I run the following code in the service layer, the resulting data is intermittently a blank string:

If I run the code in the event handler, I can’t replicate the error and the data is always the expected json.

Hopefully this may help anybody else who is experiencing the issue.

Cheers,
Neil

When you pass it off to the serviceLayer, are you passing the event across?

Yes, I pass event, rc and prc.

e.g. myService.doSomething( event, rc, prc );

Ok, well passing rc & prc is overkill as you can do var rc = event.getCOllection() if you need those inside the service layer. In fact I prefer to pass the one rather than the 3, for that very reason.

Well that doesn’t make sense, my guess is that the request is being killed before the service finishes. Is there any threads happening with the service layer?

There are cases when getting this information and not doing an abort will see odd behavior, I think this was the same problem with ContentBox where something in the headers was not there or something didn’t function right until an abort was put after it.

This does not sound like that, but seems just as strange.

Since you are passing the event object into your service, is there a chance there is a var scoping issue or cache going one?

Can you detect that scenario and dump out event.getHTTPContent() as well as getHTTPRequestData()?

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Good idea n the threads.

For what it’s worth, I don’t consider it best practice to pass event, rc, or prc into models. It creates a weak API and poor encapsulation. If a service method needs three pieces of data to operate, then make three arguments and pass in what you need. This help separate the controller from the model in the application and makes the model a bit more re-usable when you might need to call it from a different place in your application, or on another page with differently-named form fields, etc.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

I don’t consider it best practice either Brad, but there are times when passing it is better than creating a complex structure to pass in, as there is already a reference, passing it along without wasting memory with another reference is better.

No problem, I think that is probably what is happening regarding passing the event into the model. I’ll make some changes and see if it stops the issue.

Thanks.

Neil, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue. I just found the exact same behavior happening to me on Lucee 4.5 just like you described. The content variable is sometimes an empty string, but it works fine the next time. I’m wondering if this is a bug in Lucee (and Railo before that).

Thanks!

~Brad

Actually, after a bit more Googling, I think it’s this Lucee bug:

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-1119

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox/CommandBox Developer Advocate
Ortus Solutions, Corp