Server start trouble

I installed Java 1.8.0_282 and commandBox 5.2.1 on Ubuntu desktop 20.04. In CommandBox when I do a “server start” it fails to start. When I start it with debug=true sometimes it starts but it doesn’t write a server.json file to the webroot and crashes after a bit OR it says the server started but it didn’t. There’s also a Java error file generated with a fatal error.

TY for any help you can provide.

Add --console to your start command. When people have issues on LInux, it’s nearly always the tray icon. The GUI libs cause a Java crash that doesn’t get written to the logs, but will show up if you do a --console start.

Fixes are to try installing the libappindicator package listed here
https://commandbox.ortusbooks.com/setup/installation#linux-apt-get
and if that doesn’t work, the next thing to do is to disable the tray icon
https://commandbox.ortusbooks.com/embedded-server#disable-the-tray-icon

1 Like

Oh, and Hi Brad!

Do you want that log file? Would it help at all?

It was a bit of work to getting this OS installed and configured. I like it so far but if it’s not CommandBox friendly I guess I could reinstall with an earlier version of Ubuntu. Let me know.

Did you check on that package I mentioned that’s in the installation instructions?
Did you try disabling the tray icon?

You’re definitely getting some sort of panic on the JVM, but I’m not sure why. The error message is sort of vague and comes from a very low level inside Java’s native libs.

I had already installed the libappindicator package earlier on.

I was tired last night and got distracted though and missed the bit about disabling the tray icon. Thanks! It’s been running for a while now. Darn, that tray icon was pretty cool…

Thanks again.

MW

If you don’t have the icon available, how do you easily find the lucee admin and the lucee root folder (where you put the password file)? Is there a command for that?

The same way all the poor users out there not using CommandBox have to do it :slight_smile:

Actually, it’s still easier even without the tray icon. You can see if this command still works for you on Linux

server open /lucee/admin/server.cfm

Or just type that into the browser. you can view the server home dir like so

server into property=serverhomeDirectory

Of course, it’s much much easier to simply use CFConfig to manage your Lucee default password than to screw with that terrible password.txt file. Just do

install commandbox-dotenv
install commandbox-cfconfig

and then place a .box.env file in your user home with a default password like so

propertyFile set ~/.box.env cfconfig_adminPassword password

Now, restart the CLI. You’ll have an env var called cfconfig_adminPassword always defined which CFConfig will pick up any time you start a server and it will set the default password for that server automatically.

I had to shut things down and log out/in of Ubuntu and then it worked but brilliant as usual.

It’s hard to keep up with all the new stuff to learn.

Thanks again!

1 Like