[testbox] model / orm / relationship checking

This question might not make any sense, but I’m going to ask it anyway. :slight_smile:

Is there any way to verify that a [segment of a] model is valid?

By which I mean that I want to verify that Hibernate is creating the expected tables and relationships and that certain (inherited) properties/columns exist on extended objects/tables, and stuff like that.

Obviously an OrmReload() and just looking at any errors / the database kinda solves this, but working on a team with everyone using multiple databases in different states, it’d be nice to have a more automated way of saying [this stuff is as expected] and [this bit looks wrong/odd].

Thoughts?

Everyone should be using the same DB, productivity would go up a hell of a lot.

Andrew wrote:

Everyone should be using the same DB, productivity would go up a hell of a lot.

No, productivity would stall, because we would constantly be breaking each others databases and forced to share incomplete code to fix them, thus introducing bugs in the code, etc.

Shared development servers are a flawed concept - that applies to database servers just as much as application servers.

Brad wrote:

Use red gate sql and data compare. Red gate also had sql source control.

Red Gate tools are on our list of things to check out, but would this help with automatically validating new entities/properties, or just simplify the manual checking/fixing process?