upgrade from 2.6.3 with issues

Hey all,
so at my company we are still in 2.6.3. I know, I know, we should have upgraded a long time ago, but from what I learned we have some issues and I thought i’d post them here to see if there was any way to work through our issues without it being totally manual…

So, when the original developers started on this, they decided to change around the system folder to some structure they liked, not the standard format…so that makes it hard to upgrade we think. Also, because they moved this around, that screws up the path for request context bean so on every handler we have this at the top:

var rc = Event.getCollection(); ...

so you see the cfargument tag to set the event is always there, and you see the path that is being used. I was told this is a different path than what is in at least 3.0…

also I was told that these guys used some AOP concepts that were pre-wirebox, so when we try to add that code into the wirebox concepts, it blows up.

Now, I am not an expert on exactly what the setup is, but since I write here quite a bit, I thought it was worth posting an initial entry to see what you ColdBox experts might suggest for us and how we might upgrade our system…this also came about from starting to read the ColdBox book again and reading something about refactoring in the first few chapters.

I can get more info on what our issues are, but this is a start.

Any help, thoughts, prayers, laughs, etc, would be helpful.

thanks
Dan

so at my company we are still in 2.6.3. I know, I know, we should have upgraded a long time ago, but from what I learned we have some issues and I thought i’d post them here to see if there was any way to work through our issues without it being totally manual…

Upgrading is never as bad once you’re done. Most of the stuff you need to change can be handled with global find and replaces (backup first!). The rest of it, you just sit down with your coworkers and fix.

So, when the original developers started on this, they decided to change around the system folder to some structure they liked, not the standard format…

That’s cool. We completely changed around the structure of the system folder too in the 3.0 release so it’s all different now anyway :slight_smile: Very little of your app should really care how the framework files are organized though. And the parts that do, can be easily fixed with an extended find and replace.

so that makes it hard to upgrade we think. Also, because they moved this around, that screws up the path for request context bean so on every handler we have this at the top:

Extended find and replace :slight_smile: Honestly, I don’t even bother putting type checks on those arguments. I turn off the type check in production anyway for performance.

also I was told that these guys used some AOP concepts that were pre-wirebox, so when we try to add that code into the wirebox concepts, it blows up.

Well, we’ll need more information than that :slight_smile: There’s nothing keeping you from continuing doing whatever you have done in the past (unless you had hacked the core of ColdBox to make it happen). Here’s the docs for Wirebox AOP. http://wiki.coldbox.org/wiki/WireBox-AOP.cfm Start a new thread with some code samples and the errors you’re receiving and we’ll help you get it figured out.

Now, I am not an expert on exactly what the setup is, but since I write here quite a bit, I thought it was worth posting an initial entry to see what you ColdBox experts might suggest for us and how we might upgrade our system…

No problem, we’re here to help. We also have a ton of compatbility guides in our wiki.
http://wiki.coldbox.org/wiki/Dashboard.cfm#What%27s_New_.3F
Start by reading all of those and they’ll cover every difference between your version and stable released. Pay close attention to WireBox, CacheBox, and LogBox as they were all completely rewritten into standalone frameworks in 3.0 so the config was enhanced a bit.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com