vagrant, windows, commandbox

sitting here is NCDevCon and trying create a provisioner that

• copies the box.exe and jre to guest machine - have that working in .cmd

• install commandbox in custom home directory - have that working .cmd

The part i don’t understanding is how to get back to the commandbox commandline so I can start and install and app. When i go into the guest it is gone.

can i get back to it/reopen the cmd window? Optimally I’d like to include those commands in a provisioner. I envision something like

box.exe -commandbox_home=c:\CommandBox;start;install fw1-sa

but that just hangs. . . . .any ideas? even if i can’t get start and install into a provisioner, I still need to get back into the command window.

not trying to reinvent the wheel so if there is a windows recipe out there, I’d totally appreciate a link.

Hi Trip, I’ve never used Windows in Vagrant but I’ll try to address your questions.

> install commandbox in custom home directory - have that working .cmd

Why is this necessary? is there an issue with the default install in your user home?

> The part i don’t understanding is how to get back to the commandbox commandline so I can start and install and app

I don’t understand what you mean when you say ‘get back to’. box is just a command line binary. you just use it from the console just like you’d use the Git CLI.

> When i go into the guest it is gone.

What do you mean by “go into”? Windows explorer? SSH? FTP? This inside a provisioner? What are you looking for? I don’t understand what you’re doing.

> can i get back to it/reopen the cmd window?

What command window? Are you referring to the script run by the provisioner? Just run whatever you need from the command line. The box process isn’t persistent once you finish executing it. It’s just invoked by the OS any time you run it.

> box.exe -commandbox_home=c:\CommandBox;start;install fw1-sa

That’s not a valid command/syntax. What are you trying to do with the “;start;install fw1-sa” bits at the end. If you’re wanting to run more than one command, then just put them on their own line and they need to refer to box each time.

box start
box install fw1-sa

> but that just hangs

No telling what it’s trying to do. Are you running that as part of a provisioner that’s hanging? Run it from a regular cmd window and see what happens. It’s likely waiting for some sort of user input from you.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox/CommandBox Developer Advocate
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com