A timeout occurred while attempting to lock module.##############.registration.cborm

On ColdFusion 2016, I get the following error with CBORM:

A timeout occurred while attempting to lock module.########################.registration.cborm

This happens even in a skeleton application.

Can you show the stack trace? Is the framework starting up and trying to register the orm module? What does Fusion Reactor show that the server is executing during that time.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Here is the stack trace. This code works on the same server when I switch to either CF10 or CF11. Sometimes the framework starts up, but then it won’t respond to the second request because the lock is in use.

coldfusion.tagext.lang.LockTag$TimeoutException: A timeout occurred while attempting to lock module.5D24EBA8689B57FC23609BA3BE4A17C8.registration.cborm.
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.LockTag.doStartTag(LockTag.java:220)
at cfModuleService2ecfc962335930$funcREGISTERMODULE.runFunction(C:\inetpub\admin\coldbox\system\web\services\ModuleService.cfc:191)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:492)
at coldfusion.filter.SilentFilter.invoke(SilentFilter.java:47)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:425)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:388)
at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:95)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:339)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:234)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:3529)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:3509)
at cfModuleService2ecfc962335930$funcREGISTERALLMODULES.runFunction(C:\inetpub\admin\coldbox\system\web\services\ModuleService.cfc:107)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:388)
at cfModuleService2ecfc962335930$funcRELOADALL.runFunction(C:\inetpub\admin\coldbox\system\web\services\ModuleService.cfc:473)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:650)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:439)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:409)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:3089)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:3066)
at cfBootstrap2ecfc864541408$funcRELOADCHECKS.runFunction(C:\inetpub\admin\coldbox\system\Bootstrap.cfc:128)
at cfBootstrap2ecfc864541408$funcONREQUESTSTART.runFunction(C:\inetpub\admin\coldbox\system\Bootstrap.cfc:350)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:3089)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:3066)
at cfApplication2ecfc1275229650$funcONREQUESTSTART.runFunction(C:\inetpub\admin\cms\Application.cfc:344)
at coldfusion.runtime.AppEventInvoker.invoke(AppEventInvoker.java:114)
at coldfusion.runtime.AppEventInvoker.onRequestStart(AppEventInvoker.java:285)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:468)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:43)
at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:142)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:94)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:60)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:62)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(RequestThrottleFilter.java:151)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:219)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:291)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at coldfusion.inspect.weinre.MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.doFilter(MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.java:121)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:218)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:142)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:532)
at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProcessor.process(AbstractAjpProcessor.java:874)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:673)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1500)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1456)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Thanks for the exception stack trace.

Now, can you use Fusion Reactor to grab a stack trace of that the thread is doing before it times out? Something is making it take a long time.

Thanks!

~Brad

Ortus Solutions, Corp

Just so that I’m clear, I’m assuming that all the ORM stuff works fine for you in ColdFusion 2016? I have just one ORM model in this project. If I don’t use CBORM, everything is fine. Brad, I’ll check it with FusionReactor next.

Same error here. The code doeas not work on Coldfusion 2016, working great on lucee.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

Its time to raise the ticket with Adobe, they messed-up CF :slight_smile:

This is the stack trace:

A timeout occurred while attempting to lock module.8A555EC213929920B68D53170C926ACA.registration.cborm.

The error occurred in C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/ModuleService.cfc: line 191
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/ModuleService.cfc: line 107
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/ModuleService.cfc: line 41
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/LoaderService.cfc: line 53
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/Bootstrap.cfc: line 71
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/Bootstrap.cfc: line 107
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/Bootstrap.cfc: line 350
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/Application.cfc: line 49
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/ModuleService.cfc: line 191
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/ModuleService.cfc: line 107
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/ModuleService.cfc: line 41
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/web/services/LoaderService.cfc: line 53
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/Bootstrap.cfc: line 71
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/Bootstrap.cfc: line 107
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/coldbox/system/Bootstrap.cfc: line 350
Called from C:/Users/Proto/Desktop/Sito/PPG/ColdFusion/cfusion/wwwroot/Gestionale/Application.cfc: line 49

189 : 
190 : 			// lock registration
**191 : 			lock name="module.#getController().getAppHash()#.registration.#arguments.modulename#" type="exclusive" throwontimeout="true" timeout="20"{**
192 : 
193 : 				// Setup Vanilla Config information for module

Hi,

Please raise issue with Adobe, I hope they will fix it.
https://bugbase.adobe.com/

Do you see any diff if you add the following to your jvm arguments:

-Dcoldfusion.udf.reuseTagInstances=false

That stack trace doesn’t actually tell us anything. It just shows a request that gave up waiting. We need to see what the other requests were doing that was blocking this one. Assuming the server is spinning for a while before it errors, take a few thread dumps for the entire JVM to see what the thread is doing that has already acquired this lock and we’ll try to see why it’s taking so long.

Thanks!

~Brad

Ortus Solutions, Corp

Oops, I forgot to add. About how many ORM entities do you have in your app? Also, where does your cfc location in your ORM settings point to? if you point it to a large folder with many CFC it can take a very long time to scan them looking for ORM entities. If i were to guess, I’d say ACF 2016 has done something to make that slower. All my ORM apps use Lucee so I haven’t done much deep testing yet on the ACF 2016 ORM front.

Thanks!

~Brad

Ortus Solutions, Corp

Hi Brad, I have only three models in my model folder. I’m using a simple coldbox app template.

I’ve noticed that the error came out when I try to reinit the framework. When first start server the fw is loaded correctly, if I reinit I got timeout error.

I have added a mapping to coldbox in my cfadmin. I’m using coldfusion express edition.

Adobe have fixed the LOCK issue.

Message from Anit
https://cfml.slack.com/archives/adobe/p1458636249000403

So excuse my ignorance but how exactly do you get the fix, as this is becoming a real issue for me. I’m not part of cfml.slack.

Updater 1 just hit the pre release channel this morning for testing before a final release. I’d ping Anit and ask if you can be added to the Adobe ColdFusion pre release program. Otherwise you’ll need to wait until Adobe releases the final version of Updater 1 to the public.

Thanks!

~Brad

Ortus Solutions, Corp

You can request the bug fix from them directly if you dont want to wait for update 1. Give them an email at CF.install@adobe.com and mention the bug it resolves - https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=4126642