CFConfig: Admin password on Adobe® ColdFusion® 2023™

Unfortunately, I am working on a CFML app that requires Adobe® ColdFusion® 2023™. I would like to turn on debug output. Executing cfconfig set debuggingEnabled=true has no effect, so I am attempting to get CFConfig to set the admin user’s password so I can turn on debug output in Adobe® ColdFusion® 2023™ Administrator™. Executing cfconfig set adminPassword=secret also has no effect.

The documentation indicates that the default password is “commandbox” when the profile is not “production”. My experience has been inconsistent with this assertion.

I do not see a Jira Issue in CFConfig - Issues - Welcome for this problem.

Is there a workaround to get into /CFIDE/administrator/ on adobe@2023.0.07+330663?

Thank you.

What you read is true, and I can confirm I use CFConfig to set all my adobe passwords and they work fine. I’m not sure why you’re having issues. Note, after setting the password when the server is running, you’d need to restart. Or better, stop CF, set the password, and start CF. Or better, just set it in a .cfconfig.json under the adminPassword key.

I personally use a global env file that sets a cfconfig_adminPassword env var which automatically kicks in for every server I start on my local machine.

Here are my steps to reproduce:

• Spin up a Microsoft® Windows® 2019™ instance in EC2
  • Install CommandBox
  • Clone repos. Create non-admin service user.
  • Run CommandBox as non-admin user
  • Run recipe setup.boxr to install DotEnv, CFConfig, etc.
  • Do server start --verbose --debug and watch that the correct configuration is loaded from .cfconfig.json and .env, including the option for adminPassword
  • Verify that some of the CFConfig settings are loaded, such as datasources and whatnot
  • Attempt to load http://localhost:8080/CFIDE/administrator/ and verify no access
  • Start over, remove admin password from configuration and hope that “commandbox” will work, as suggested in documentation.
  • Again, verify no access

FWIW, you don’t need to install CFConfig nor dotenv any longer. They come bundled with CommandBox.

Here are my steps to reproduce:

• Open CommandBox
  • Create a new test folder with mkdir adobepasswordtest --cd
  • Set a temporary env var with an admin password: set cfconfig_adminPassword=MyFunPassword
  • Start server with start cfengine=adobe@2023 --verbose
  • Confirmed server output includes the text
 Found box environment variable [cfconfig_adminPassword]
   |   | Importing into [adobe]...
  • Access server admin at URL: /CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm
  • Logged in successfully with password MyFunPassword

FWIW, you don’t need to install CFConfig nor dotenv any longer. They come bundled with CommandBox.

I’ll be darned. I did not know that.

So, turns out, this works as expected:

mkdir C:\Sites\troubleshooting
cd C:\Sites\troubleshooting
C:\Tools\CommandBox\box.exe

package init
package set scripts.onServerInstall="cfpm install search,mail,caching,sqlserver"

server set profile=development
server set dockEnable=false
server set trayEnable=false
server set openbrowser=false
server set web.http.port=8080
server set jvm.javaVersion=openjdk17_jre_x64_windows_hotspot_jdk-17.0.11+9
server set app.cfengine=adobe@2023.0.07+330663

server start --verbose --debug

The UI at http://127.0.0.1:8080/CFIDE/administrator/ accepts the “commandbox” password.

So, there is something in my stupid repo that is interfering. I’ll try yanking out pieces.

Thank you Brad.

The problem was that a request to http://127.0.0.1:8080/CFIDE/adminapi/security.cfc was being blocked by the rewrite rules that were in place with this old application when it was running within an old version of Adobe® ColdFusion®. That prevented login to Adobe® ColdFusion® 2023™ from functioning.

The issue with cfconfig set debuggingEnabled=true that started this quest was due to the debugger package not being installed. I don’t typically use Adobe® ColdFusion®, so I was not aware that getting debug output required an additional installation.

Thank you again for your help Brad. I appreciate it.

Glad you got it working. Yeah, the debugging package having to be installed is annoying, but it’s been around since 2021. You can do it pretty easy as I’m sure you found via CommandBox’s cfpm command, which when run in the root of an Adobe server, will automatically delegate to CF’s actual cfpm binary.