CFConfig Installation crashed, broke my CommandBox install

Wanted to take a look at CFConfig, tried to install it into CommandBox as per instructions, from the root directory of a running CommandBox-created server

> install commandbox-cfconfig

Install appeared to run ok, until this:

Eureka, ‘github:zpqrtbnk/test-repo’ has been installed!
BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!
We’re truly sorry, but something horrible has gone wrong when starting up CommandBox.
Here’s what we know:.

The DSL Definition {REF={null}, REQUIRED={true}, ARGNAME={}, DSL={id:SystemSettings}, JAVACAST={null}, NAME={systemSettings}, TYPE={an
y}, VALUE={null}, SCOPE={variables}} did not produce any resulting dependency

The target requesting the dependency is: ‘interceptor-ConfigLoader’
Tag Context:
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/wirebox/system/ioc/Injector.cfc: line 614
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/wirebox/system/ioc/Injector.cfc: line 501
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/wirebox/system/ioc/Injector.cfc: line 261
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/wirebox/system/ioc/Injector.cfc: line 579
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/wirebox/system/ioc/Injector.cfc: line 509
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/wirebox/system/ioc/Injector.cfc: line 261
called from /Users/Dave/.CommandBox/cfml/system/Bootstrap.cfm: line 132

The DSL Definition {REF={null}, REQUIRED={true}, ARGNAME={}, DSL={id:SystemSettings}, JAVACAST={null}, NAME={systemSettings}, TYPE={an
y}, VALUE={null}, SCOPE={variables}} did not produce any resulting dependency
[… much more stack, can provide it if it’s helpful…]

It crashed CommandBox completely, leaving me at the PowerShell prompt, and when I ran box from there, I got the same crash immediately.

Any thoughts? Ideas on how to get CFConfig installed, or absent that, how to get this CommandBox instance running again? (Without running CommandBox, since it appears I can’t?)

Thanks.

Dave,

Which version of Commandbox are you running ( box version )?

It looks like you may have a version of the cfconfig and a version of CommandBox that are not compatible with each other.

Jon

Hmmm, running “box version” crashes, so I can’t tell that way. I didn’t specify a CFConfig version to install, so I assume it’s the latest. Ideally, CommandBox wouldn’t install an incompatible version of an add-on.

Windows properties of C:\ComandBox\box.exe say 3.5.0.00600, not sure if that’s reliable.

Should I just reinstall CommandBox? Will that lose track of any servers I’ve defined?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Yes, you’re quite a bit out of date. 3.5 was released 10 months ago and CFConfig was developed after that. You should be on 3.8.

If you want to use CFConfig, you’ll need to update. You don’t need to lose all of your servers, though. Just back up your existing ~/.CommandBox directory and then move the contents of the old server directory and the servers.json in the root of the old folder to the new installation.

BTW, Commandbox will also self-update: server upgrade - I think 3.5 had that capability. Then you don’t need to mess around with moving files.

Oops that should be box upgrade - not server upgrade - Sorry.

Don’t think I can do box -anything at this point. So reinstall from scratch? Or is there an easy way to forget cfconfig for long enough to update CommandBox?

BTW, CommandBox updates installed components automatically, doesn’t it? I frequently see it updating Lucee, or checking if it needs to be updated, and I think Coldbox too maybe, so I assumed it would update itself. Is there a setting that to control that?

Dave

All you need to do is go grab the latest box.exe binary from our downloads page and overwrite your current one. CommandBox will upgrade itself the next time it starts.

If you want to temporarily uninstall CFConfig manually, just open up ~/.CommandBox/cfml/modules/ and delete the commandbox-cfconfig folder and restart.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox/CommandBox Developer Advocate
Ortus Solutions, Corp

E-mail: brad@coldbox.org
ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Blog: http://www.codersrevolution.com

Thanks guys, sorted. CFConfig looks great!