Content Box 3 input

Hi guys, i was watching your ContentBox 3 Webinars. It looks quite nice, somehow similiar to WP. I worked in the last 20 years with a lot of ColdFusion and PHP CMS… So I thought, I will send you now some input:

What I miss is a drag and drop editor, like Siteorigin Pagebuilder/Visual Composer, etc… Maybe you can have a look on Grid Manager gridmanager.js : Gridmanager.js Documentation . Its a quite nice and simpel tool, We made a plugin for Mura CMS on top of their ckeditor. Specially positioning of images in a cell is super easy. For CB3 it would be also really amazing, in this way you could widgets directly in the grid and build up content more sophisticated. If you dont’t want that the fronted is only based on bootstrap, you should have a look on siteorigin pagebuilder (wordpress) and get “inspired” from their solution. Its independet from any frontend language.

I think u use a fork of CKFINDER as File Manager. Do you plan something database driven? The problem with a ckfinder integration ist, that you have no control over the assetts. Specially if you have huge amount of data and solr integration, its really a big mess!

One of the biggest issues with CMS we always had, was the search function. With Mura we use Solr (because the integrated search function is useless). But Mura use also a mix between database driven and filebased ckfinder assets. This combination is hell for the configuration of a solar search. The customer is not willing to pay for this, because they expect a GOOD search engine out of the box. How is this solved in CB3??

I think, the use of a grid system in combination with a separate database driven asset-managent would be a great benefit. In this way you can trash the ckfinder completley and the configuration of a facetted solr search is easier.

Regards

Martin

Thanks for the feedback. Very valuable insight.

Can you create some tickets on Jira so we can discuss these? I’d like to get more feedback from other team members, and community members too.

We have a couple more webinars coming up, hope you enjoy them as well.

Thanks

Gavin Pickin
ContentBox Modular CMS Product Evangelist

Thank you so much for your feedback, this is exactly what I am always looking for.

Below are some comments for you:

Hi guys, i was watching your ContentBox 3 Webinars. It looks quite nice, somehow similiar to WP. I worked in the last 20 years with a lot of ColdFusion and PHP CMS… So I thought, I will send you now some input:

What I miss is a drag and drop editor, like Siteorigin Pagebuilder/Visual Composer, etc… Maybe you can have a look on Grid Manager http://neokoenig.github.io/jQuery-gridmanager/ . Its a quite nice and simpel tool, We made a plugin for Mura CMS on top of their ckeditor. Specially positioning of images in a cell is super easy. For CB3 it would be also really amazing, in this way you could widgets directly in the grid and build up content more sophisticated. If you dont’t want that the fronted is only based on bootstrap, you should have a look on siteorigin pagebuilder (wordpress) and get “inspired” from their solution. Its independet from any frontend language.

We will definitely look into this. I know Francesco is looking to our widget manager to allow drag and drop interfaces. We also have plans for UI editing via a new module that can do front end editing as well.

I think u use a fork of CKFINDER as File Manager. Do you plan something database driven? The problem with a ckfinder integration ist, that you have no control over the assetts. Specially if you have huge amount of data and solr integration, its really a big mess!

This is all ColdFusion. I had created a file manager a long time ago and released it as a ColdBox module. We adapted it for ContentBox and is very actively developed. We have several image tools coming as well and completely customizable. There are tons of events and extension points to it as well. So it is not as restrictive.

One of the biggest issues with CMS we always had, was the search function. With Mura we use Solr (because the integrated search function is useless). But Mura use also a mix between database driven and filebased ckfinder assets. This combination is hell for the configuration of a solar search. The customer is not willing to pay for this, because they expect a GOOD search engine out of the box. How is this solved in CB3??

We really wanted search to be extensible. So in ContentBox, the search is configured at the isntance level via our interface. So you can easily create as many implementations of search as required. Meaning you have full control of how search is done, whether the built-in DB one, Solr, ElasticSearch, FAST, Google, etc. http://apidocs.ortussolutions.com/contentbox/3.0.0-rc/contentbox/models/search/ISearchAdapter.html#class

This means, you can easily integrate and extend the search.

I think, the use of a grid system in combination with a separate database driven asset-managent would be a great benefit. In this way you can trash the ckfinder completley and the configuration of a facetted solr search is easier.

When you mention a database driven asset manager, where would you store the assets? Would you just store references to files on disk so they can be indexed?

About widget manager, you could give a try to this module: https://github.com/contentbox-modules/widget-manager

This will allow you to add widget or contentstore in any registered intercepton point.