How do I create a custom Home page where the blog is not the default.

Hi Robert,

I was mistaken on point #1 about the security. You need to retrieve it via the security service.

securityService.getAuthorSession().

#2: Menu
Line 997 is totally different for me. We do have al sub page and nested menu support, so my conclusion is that you are using an old version of ContentBox.

#3. I totally get the sub types now. I read a little about them in WP as well. So basically it is a fancy scaffolding tool for sub types. I think we can most definitely do something very very similar but I need to design it first. I have all the tools available to make it happen, so it should be a medium sized ticket to be able to register sub types with some configuration data and name of the entity. Then we will build the interface for you to manage it. Again, for simple things I think this will work tremendous.

signature0.jpg

Luis F. Majano
CEO
Ortus Solutions, Corp
www.ortussolutions.com

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/731/483
Blog: http://www.luismajano.com
IECFUG Manager: http://www.iecfug.com

Social: twitter.com/lmajano facebook.com/lmajano

See bold responses Below

Hi Robert,

I was mistaken on point #1 about the security. You need to retrieve it via the security service.

securityService.getAuthorSession(). When I dump it i get the following error: variable [SECURITYSERVICE] doesn’t exist

#2: Menu
Line 997 is totally different for me. We do have al sub page and nested menu support, so my conclusion is that you are using an old version of ContentBox. This is the build I’m using: contentbox-buildID-201211090958

#3. I totally get the sub types now. I read a little about them in WP as well. So basically it is a fancy scaffolding tool for sub types. I think we can most definitely do something very very similar but I need to design it first. I have all the tools available to make it happen, so it should be a medium sized ticket to be able to register sub types with some configuration data and name of the entity. Then we will build the interface for you to manage it. Again, for simple things I think this will work tremendous.

Perfect!!! This is exactly what I was talking about. To give you another example, I’m currently working on a project for someone using content box. One of the major pages on the site is a member page which lists a small photo their name, and a short bio that will be displayed 3 to a row with the name and bio directly under the picture. So in essence it is basically a photo gallery with a bit of content for each photo.

The way i see it, a sub type could be registered of type gallery that would be defined as the content field where the photo would be uploaded which would use the current entry column, a name field for the name which could use the current title column, and a second text box for the short bio which could use the excerpt column. So in reality there would be no need to add any additional fields and the entry screen would be limited to those three fields when that post type was chosen.

In another example for the site I’m building it needs a performance calendar of events. Using the same concept, a sub type can be registered of type event. It would use the current title column for the event title, the current entry column for the event description, then additional meta data fields such as event date, time and location, to include lat and lon would be predefined using the current custom field generator.

Whenever a new event is added, the entry screen would already include the defined custom fields. One neat feature to have for this subtype would be the ability to go out to the google map API and retrieve the geo data (lat/lon) for mapping purposes and store it with the entry.

This feature would greatly enhance contentbox and allow developers and end users alike to do some really neat things really quickly. I can see tons of different uses for this. As i mentioned, I’m currently working on a content box site for a client and these are features that I could definitely use. Though I’ve already found work arounds to do this but it’s clunky and there would be no way that an end user would be able to understand how to manage it and I’d rather not go down that road if i don’t have to. What are your usual timelines for adding a feature like this?