.htaccess issue

TLDR: commandbox/tuckey can’t handle RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d ?

I’ve been slowly transitioning to lucee in production, and decided it was time to bite the bullet and do the same locally. Easier said than done, but after a few days of battling with lucee/apache/tomcat, I ended up going with Commandbox, installed via Homebrew. 5 minutes later - up and running. So nice!

Dug up the option to use existing .htaccess - perfect. However some of the commands didn’t seem to load. Started server using box server start --rewritesEnable rewritesConfig=.htaccess --debug --console --follow and I’m getting the following:

[ERROR] urlrewrite.Condition: Condition 1 had error: you must set a name for a header
[ERROR] urlrewrite.Condition: Condition 1 had error: Problem compiling regular expression %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.cfm (java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Illegal repetition near index 0

The second one is easy enough to fix by escaping the {}, though it’s kind of weird this kicks an error when it doesn’t normally.

But the first one is killing me. I found a thread referencing what seems to be the same problem here: Standard HTACCESS rules error · Issue #104 · cfmlprojects/runwar · GitHub

That’s a 2 year old thread and the final conclusion wasn’t really posted, but surely I’m not the only one with a line like this in my htaccess? Is it the version via homebrew giving an issue? I’m on version 5.1.1+00191.