Roadmap clarification

Is there going to be a Coldbox 3.8.2 before/alongside 4.0

More specifically, I want to know what’s happening with regards to Testbox.

Will it still receive updates/bugfixes that are compatible with 3.8.x codebase, or will new versions rely on a revamped 4.0 core?

And to clarify my own post, I’ve realised I omitted to point out that I’m referring to the time before 4.0 Final is released - i.e. whilst 4.0 is in an alpha/beta state.

Peter, I would guess that as TestBox is actually a separate product, the answer would be yes.

And I would guess that the answer - for integrated software which is released as a single package, sharing a single code repository (not to mention website/documentation) and not currently having any clear differentiation code-wise between 3.8.x and 4.x (nor indeed between 1.1.0 and ?.?.?) - is to ask the team behind the code.

Because it is entirely possible that the refactoring occurring for 4.x is also applied to either/both TestBox and/or the parts of the Core ColdBox Platform which TestBox uses (in both integrated and standalone versions) - and there is no TestBox Roadmap or other information I’ve found which provides an answer to whether that will/wont be happening.

Hence my post.

And my answer remains unchanged.

Also don’t confuse the fact it is baked into ColdBox by default, as well as separate product mislead the answer. Yes there will be changes to it to cater for changes to ColdBox, but I would assume it will be minimal as I stated, it is a separate marketed product.

Guesses and assumptions are insufficient.

I’m asking if someone from Team ColdBox can give clarification based on their plans.

Well Peter, it is a separate product what more can I say. But is there something really more specific you want to know?

You know Peter, have you looked here.

http://www.coldbox.org/download

Scroll down to where it states, TestBox is our standalone ColdFusion xUnit and BDD Testing Framework.

That would have saved your headache…

HI Peter, answers below:

Is there going to be a Coldbox 3.8.2 before/alongside 4.0

I don’t think we will do another patch release, things are starting to roll for 4.0

More specifically, I want to know what’s happening with regards to Testbox.

Will it still receive updates/bugfixes that are compatible with 3.8.x codebase, or will new versions rely on a revamped 4.0 core?

Well, TestBox really doesn’t touch the core MVC, so it can still be released without ColdBox. As of now, we don’t have enough issues to make a patch release for TestBox, but, once we have more either bug fixes or updates to TestBox, we can release no problem without the Platform.

Does this answer your question?