Viewlet rendering but being overwritten

So I have a viewlet handler with a single function:
It checks for all objects in the PRC that contain a hasErrors() function, this works great.

function showValidationErrors( event, rc, prc ){	
		// Get structure of items that contain a hasErrors function, we assume that these are validationResult objects
		return renderview( view="viewlets/showValidationErrors", collection=structFindKey(prc, "HasErrors", "all") );
	}

My page is also quite simple:

<cfoutput>
	<cfif showValidationErrors.owner.hasErrors()>
		#cbMessageBox().renderMessage( type="error", message=showValidationErrors.owner.getAllErrors() )#
	</cfif>
</cfoutput>

I have a page where I want to display this info:

mypage.cfm:

<cfoutput>	
Some text before
#runEvent(event="viewlets.showValidationErrors")#
Some text after
</cfoutput>

I don’t see anything even if content is rendered, for example, if I place a cfabort tag I do see the proper result, I see rendered the string “Some text before” and then the error message :

<cfoutput>
		#cbMessageBox().renderMessage( type="error", message=showValidationErrors.owner.getAllErrors() )#
        <cfabort>
	</cfif>
</cfoutput>

I also tried just entering some plain text in the viewlet to see if the issue was with the cbMessageBox content:

<cfoutput>
      some plain text here
    <cfabort>
	</cfif>
</cfoutput>

So I know that the viewlet is being executed and properly rendering content, but the content does not appear in the final rendered page.

I also tried adding the runEvent() command in my layout pages also no result.