What do you need to get the ExeptionBean to work?

Where do you put the setting?
I put it an onException in the main.cfc
Do I put a view to the exception in there?
Can I send a email from there?

Is there a working example somewhere? I did not notice any inside the sample code.

Hi Nathan,

Below is my Main.cfc onException function. This could be a bit overkill, but I use both Logbox and Aaron Greenlee’s HOTH - http://aarongreenlee.com/share/hoth-coldfusion-errors-tracking-reporting/

to track and log the errors. Both of which are setup to email me the errors.

In addition I use cfsavecontent to display a friendly error message to the user.

Kudos go to Aaron for the code below. Hope this helps.

Nolan

var rc = event.getCollection(); var prc = event.getCollection(private=true);

//log to HOTH
local.HothTracker = (structKeyExists(application, ‘HothTracker’))
? application.HothTracker
: new Hoth.HothTracker( new platform.common.config.HothConfig() );

try {
//Grab Exception From request collection, placed by ColdBox
local.ExceptionBean = Event.getValue(“ExceptionBean”);

//log to logbox
if( log.canFatal() ){
log.fatal(’#cgi.http_host# - Main.onException, detail - #local.ExceptionBean.getDetail()#, message - #local.ExceptionBean.getMessage()#’,local.ExceptionBean.getStacktrace());
}

} catch (any e) {
// Record that the exception bean was not found!
// This should also provide the context of the original error
// however, the error details will be different. This is important
// in the event ColdBox has an issue capturing the error.
local.HothTracker.track(e);

return;
}

local.HothTracker.track(local.ExceptionBean);

savecontent variable=“local.e” {
include ‘…/views/500.cfm’;
}
writeOutput(local.e);

Thanks I will try this out in my main.cfc - that is where it should be correct.

What all do you need just to download hoth? and setup code in main.cfc

Is this true?

missingTemplateHandler = “main.onMissingTemplate”,

If a missing file exists it will call the main.onMissingTemplate

exceptionHandler = “main.onException”,

If an exception occurs it will call the main.onException

onInvalidEvent = “main.pageNotFound”,

If a event is not found it will call the main.pageNotFound

customErrorTemplate = “views/errors/generic_error.cfm”,

If a error occurs the page that will be displayed will be views/errors/generic_error.cfm

I am using ColdBox 3.1

bugTracers =
{
enabled = true,
bugEmails = “xxx@xxx”,
mailFrom = “xxx@xxx”,
customEmailBugReport = “”
};

My understanding is that bugTracers has been replaced by using LogBox is this correct?

1. When we get errors they are not always clear as to what it wrong…

Example:
MissingInclude
Could not find the included template /awng/views/myaccount/personalinfo.cfm

Yet when I go further down into the ColdFusion Exceptions area I get these two errors the first being the error. This still is not very clear as to what is wrong.

Exceptions

11:58:45.045 - Database Exception - in C:\JRun4\servers\cfusion\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\cfusion\CustomTags\com\adobe\coldfusion\base.cfc : line 364

Error Executing Database Query.

11:58:45.045 - MissingInclude Exception - in D:\apache\htdocs\ColdBox\system\plugins\Renderer.cfc : line 271

Could not find the included template /awng/views/myaccount/personalinfo.cfm.

If I take a new folder and create a simple application.cfm and index.cfm and call the objects in the handler I get a clearer picture as to what might be wrong with the object or query.

How can I get ColdBox to give me that information using LogBox in an email and display a nice error to the customer?

Can someone give me a one or two page example... like the sample apps.  Create a new ColdBox App with the Advanced Template and change whatever is needed to be changed to setup ColdBox 3.1 error handling to work.  Then cause a simple bad select or bad insert query and any other exception they want to show.  I would be very grateful.  I have been working on this over and over again.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Brad I appreciate the work you are doing to help me get an example. This is a new application and there are no try catches in this area. I made sure since we all are wanting better errors. So I am trying to get as much info as I can. I am trying what you gave me. I got the file working to display to the customer… just not sure I am getting enough information related tot he error.